Monday, July 19, 2010

Tubing in Helen

The kids and I met my cousin Karen and her family in Helen Georgia on Saturday. Jason could not join us because he has been a little under the weather. We missed him being with us! He is feeling much better now. We drove up on Saturday morning. I was so shocked to go north on 400 and see that this huge interstate-ish highway just turns into a small road with red lights & and the speed limit stays at 65mph. I thought that was crazy!
Anyway it was a beautiful drive up the mountain and the kids had lots of fun showing me all the different places that they had worked at Family On Mission Camp! This is the city where their camp was. They went with their Daddy a few weeks ago and had a BLAST! Helen is really a great little village. Reminded me alot of a small version of Gatlinburg,TN. We didn't do any window shopping. We went straight to the cabin that my cousin had rented. They were in Helen all weekend. We all put on our bathing suites and headed to the tubing company to tube down the Chattahoochee!
I was a little nervous about Ella at first because I just didn't know how deep or rough the water would be. Karen assured me that she would be fine. Her family had gone the day before and were now going again with me and my kids. All the kids were fitted with life jackets so that made me feel much better.
The water was COLD to say the least but strangely enough I got used to it. We were able to strap all of our tubes together and that made me feel alot safer. Owen was a huge help! He jumped out of his tube whenever needed and steered us around rocks or other obstacles. He loves stuff like that. Ella was not to sure about it at first but grew to really love it. She especially loved the more rapid dips around rocks etc. She is a real adventure seeker! Lettie is definitely my girly girl. She had a great time but was very diligent to make sure everyone was accounted for and staying together-she is going to be a great mother one day! She lost one of her favorite green crocs. That really upset her but hopefully we can find another pair to replace it.
Over all it was a really fun day. It rained for maybe 5 minutes while we were on the river and I thought it was going to be bad because the kids got really cold during the rain. However the sun came back out and warmed us right up. Hopefully we will go back soon with our Daddy. We are really looking forward to that!
Sorry that I do not have any pictures to post. I could not take my camera or it would have been drenched. I was so sad, because there were some really great "Kodak Moments"!

1 comment: